Getting a connection

If a development requires a new water main or sewer, the developer may ask the water or sewerage company to install the pipework. When this is required for domestic purposes (cooking, cleaning or sanitary facilities), it is known as requisitioning.

Alternatively, they may choose their own contractor to do the work, which is known as self-lay. The water company will take over responsibility for (adopt) self-laid pipes that meet the terms of its agreement with the developer or self-lay organisation (SLO) that carries out the work.

This section provides further information about:

  • self-lay: if you’ve decided to self-lay, this explains the process and what happens next
  • requisitioning: this explains how you can ask your water or sewerage company to install pipework
  • interest rates: relating to charges for new connections and relocation of mains and sewers.

Further information

Our general expectations of monopoly companies when providing and charging for new connections

Better connected: a practical guide to utilities for home builders

Levels of service for developer services