This document sets out our consultation on guidelines for regional and small water only and water and sewerage companies in supporting residential customers in England and Wales pay their bill, access help and repay debts.
- Appendix 1 sets out our minimum services expectations in full
- Appendix 2 sets out our reasons for introducing the new minimum service expectations
Our guidelines include principles and minimum service expectations for these companies in supporting:
- customers in debt; and
- customers in debt and facing debt recovery action by water companies and third parties.
- all residential customers in England and Wales to pay their water, wastewater or combined bill;
- customers in vulnerable circumstances, including those at risk of falling into debt; and
- customers who have their accounts managed by agents such as local authorities and housing associations.
Our guidelines apply to all residential customers and mixed use customers in England and Wales. Mixed-use properties are those with a shared supply that include a dwelling (that is occupied by a person as their only or principal home), but which are also used for a non-domestic purpose. Examples include farmhouses which make up part of a larger premise or public
houses with residential quarters.
We welcome responses to our consultation by Wednesday 28 July 2021. We plan to publish our final guidelines in autumn 2021.
We last updated our guidelines in 2015. You can find ‘Dealing with household customers in debt: guidelines’ on our website.