IB 04a/13 Ofwat varies the appointment of water and sewerage services supplier at additional land at Berryfields


Ofwat has varied the appointment of Independent Water Networks Limited (IWN) to enable it to supply water and sewerage services to an additional parcel of land at the Berryfields site in Aylesbury. The reasons for our decision are set out in our decision document.

New appointments and variations include one company replacing another as the appointee for a specific geographic area. IWN will replace Thames Water as the statutory water and sewerage services supplier at the additional land at Berryfields.

IWN was granted its appointment as a water and sewerage company in October 2007 for a housing development called Long Croft Road in Corby, in Anglian Water’s area. It has since been granted a further eight variations to its appointment at a variety of sites in different companies’ areas throughout England and Wales.


Notes to Editors:


  1. Ofwat (The Water Services Regulation Authority) is the economic regulator of water and sewerage companies in England and Wales. It exercises its powers in a way that it judges will protect the interests of consumers, promote value and safeguard future water and sewerage services by allowing efficient companies to carry out their functions properly, and finance them.
  2. New appointments and variations are the route by which one company replaces another as the appointed water and/or sewerage company for a specified area. The replacement water and sewerage company will have all of the same duties and responsibilities as the previous statutory water and sewerage company for the specified area.
  3. There are three qualifying criteria for seeking a new appointment or variation:
    • an area does not contain any premises that receive services from an appointed water or sewerage company (it is ‘unserved’);
    • a customer uses (or is likely to use) at least 50 million litres of water a year (in England) or 250 million litres of water a year (in Wales) at each of its premises and wants to change its supplier (a ‘large user’); or
    • the existing appointed company agrees to transfer part of its area to a different company (a transfer by ‘consent’).
  4. Media enquiries to the Ofwat Press Office: 0121 644 7642 / 7821 / 7616 / [email protected]