How we do things is just as important to us as what we do.
All our work is underpinned by our values. They set out how we behave and what we aspire to be.
How we organise ourselves
We use programmes and resource pools to organise ourselves. Giles explains more.
We each belong to a resource pool, which is made up of people with similar skills. Our six resource pools are
- Corporate Communications
- Programme and Project Management
- Strategy and Policy
People from different resource pools collaborate in project teams, so that each of our projects has the right resources and set of skills. The diagram below shows how this works on a day-to-day basis.
We use this structure for the following reasons.
- We’ve got a number of programmes and projects, but don’t necessarily need to assign people full-time to each one. Instead, we assign them part-time to several programmes or projects.
- We’re aware of the need to deliver on things like quality and cost, which can be overseen by more than one manager.
- Our people work across two locations (Birmingham and London). So, our structure gives us consistent management for each programme or project.
- We work in a rapidly changing environment, and need to respond quickly to change. Our structure means that we can share and act on information quickly.