As an Associate in the Casework and Enforcement team you will support a number of our workstreams. Your work will be particularly focused on responding to customer enquiries and complaints Ofwat receives and assessing licence applications we receive from companies wishing to operate in the water sector. As part of this you will yourself respond to enquiries and complaints we receive and lead the assessment of individual licence applications or complex complaints (which can develop into small scale investigations).
The successful candidate will have strong customer service and planning skills; be able to identify and assess relevant information to make evidence-based recommendations; and be great at working with others to gather and share information clearly in writing or verbally.
You will be responsible for managing a varied caseload of customer enquiries and complaints
and licensing work. This will involve:
- Being responsible for assessing and responding accurately and effectively to customer enquiries and complaints received by Ofwat, including contacts made to our CEO and Chair.
- Leading on the delivery of small-scale investigations, where we have legal powers to determine a dispute between a customer and their water company.
- Making recommendations to senior decision-makers on the next steps in processing a customer complaint or licence application.
- Proactively and independently planning, prioritising and managing various work items in parallel to provide a high-quality service to customers and meet our service level timeframes.
- Working with internal and external stakeholders, including those from other professional disciplines (for examples legal, engineers, communications), to gather and share information relevant to each others’ work.
- Maintaining accurate and up-to-date case / project files.
- Working with colleagues to identify and consider trends, insights and lessons learnt identified from your day-to-day work, to feed into improvements in how we and water companies deliver for customers, society and the environment.
- Sharing your knowledge and support with colleagues in the team, helping us to “join the dots” between activities, and to adapt and respond to changing workloads and priorities
You will be a self-starter and expected to take strong ownership of the work you are responsible for, demonstrating Ofwat’s SAILOR values and ways of working. Ofwat is a learning organisation and you will have opportunities to further develop your knowledge and experience. We have a well-supported, agile working environment, and have a trust-based culture intended to help empower you and enable and support you to succeed within Ofwat.
The successful candidate for this role will be expected to:
- Provide a high-quality service to customers and stakeholders contacting Ofwat via phone, letter or email with enquiries or complaints. This will require:
a. Strong active listening skills to ensure you understand and can effectively respond to questions and concerns raised with us.
b. Maintaining accurate and up-to-date records of customer contacts you have responded to via our contact management system.
c. Keeping abreast of Ofwat’s key announcements and developments so that you have some awareness of the issues customers may contact us about.
d. Working collaboratively with internal subject matter experts where needed to prepare appropriate and timely responses.
- Lead the successful delivery of licence application assessments, complex complaints and small-scale investigations into customer disputes. This will require:
a. Strong project management skills to plan, prioritise and manage work to deadlines and our process and governance requirements, and to maintain complete case files.
b. Analytical and problem-solving skills that enable you to identify, gather and assess a range of relevant data and information relevant to our decision.
c. Strong written and verbal communication skills that will allow you to clearly and concisely present evidence-based conclusions and recommendations for complex problems.
d. Effective stakeholder engagement to identify and gather from internal and external stakeholders the inputs and information required to ensure our decisions are appropriate, timely and reflect relevant links to wider work in Ofwat.
e. Identifying and helping to manage issues and risks arising from your work, escalating these to mangers where appropriate.
- Support continuous improvement in our ways of working. This will require:
a. Helping to identify and flag trends and insights from our work and reflecting on lessons learnt to inform future ways of working and our continuous improvement.
b. Sharing your knowledge and support with colleagues, including supporting each other in managing and adapting to changing workloads and priorities and by providing constructive feedback to support our learning and growth.
c. Actively participating in finding solutions to challenges that might arise in our work and in finding better ways to achieve our team’s objectives.
d. Taking ownership of your own personal development and growth.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective decisions
- Delivering at Pace
- Changing and Improving
In addition we will also assess:
- Demonstrating our SAILOR values (Support, Ambition, Integrity, Learning, Ownership, Respect)
Come and take a look, we offer a substantial benefits package including 25 days holiday plus 10 ½ bank holiday and privilege leave days per annum, a fantastic and highly competitive civil service pension scheme, among many other benefits.
A truly flexible, autonomous and trust based working culture is on offer to help you succeed within Ofwat.
Please apply online here at Civil Service Jobs.
Please ensure that you have outlined how your skills and experience meet the criteria set out in the professional requirements section of the role profile.
The closing date for applications is 5pm Friday 24 September.