Ofwat (the Water Services Regulation Authority) is pursuing an ambitious strategy, making sure we have the skills, processes, systems, governance and organisational culture needed to enable us to deliver our new vision for the water and sewerage sectors. What we do makes a real difference to water customers across the country.
Our work is high-profile and fast-moving, within a dynamic and agile environment. The work that you’ll be involved in every day will be about helping us to deliver our strategy, helping to us to be the regulator we want to be and helping the sector to deliver outcomes that matter to customers and society. Our strategy sets out the role Ofwat will play. We will adapt, be confident, act with purpose and integrity and continuously improve so that we make the greatest contribution possible to improving life through water.
The role and the requirements
We are seeking an experienced water sector engineer, scientist or environmentalist with a high level of technical competency, policy development skills and stakeholder management skills to play an important role in delivering our strategy within the newly formed RAPID cluster.
The successful candidate will be in our water engineering, science and technology (WEST) profession but be expected to work with other professionals (economists, policy specialists, data analysts, corporate finance experts and other experts) to solve regulatory problems. Our WEST roles are not purely technical advisory. We expect them to take part in policy development and have the ability to communicate complex analysis to non-technical audiences. You may lead a small workstream or manage small projects and you’ll ensure we’re delivering on our strategic objectives on time and to budget, and also contribute to the effective identification and management of strategic risk and opportunities.
You will have a degree of autonomy, responsibility, and you will have ample opportunities to develop and consolidate your skill set. You are expected to be a self-starter and do not require detailed supervision from senior colleagues. You will continue to hone your judgement and be expected to exercise it responsibly in line with our strategy and ways of working.
- Work closely with the other regulators to support the development of the water resources planning framework and technical guidelines.
- Support the strategic regional water resource solution gated assessment process including reviewing company submissions and implementing lessons learned
- Support the development of wider regulatory and commercial frameworks to support large scale multi-party infrastructure development
- Provide scrutiny, challenge and written and oral feedback on regional water resource plans and company water resources management plans
- Provide wider support of the RAPID team in delivering its forward programme and the other related Ofwat clusters (primarily Future Assets & Resources and PR24 & beyond).
The successful candidate will have;
- Experience of carrying out a relevant role within Government, a regulated business, water sector supply chain organisation, consultancy or in another similarly relevant position.
- Experience or knowledge of developing policy in a complex organisational environment.
- Proven ability to working under pressure to produce high quality analysis to tight timescales while managing competing priorities
- Experience of working effectively in multi-disciplinary teams
- Understanding of investment appraisal techniques.
- Understanding of the processes and techniques associated with water resources management planning.
- Practical knowledge of the water industry in an area such as capital programme delivery, meeting environmental obligations, business planning or water business operation or management
- Graduate qualification in engineering or similar, or, equivalent professional experience within the appropriate field of expertise to this role.
Come and take a look, we offer a substantial benefits package including 25 days holiday plus 10 ½ bank holiday and privilege leave days per annum plus a fantastic civil service pension and commitment to learning and development, among many other benefits.
A truly flexible, agile, autonomous and trust based working culture is on offer to help you succeed within Ofwat.
Please forward a CV and cover letter, including the relevant experience required for this post. Please ensure that you have outlined how your skills and experience meet the criteria set out in the requirements section of the role profile. All applications require a CV Supplement form (mandatory) and a Diversity form (optional) to be completed as part of the process.
More information is available in our candidate information pack.
Please email your CV and supporting documents to [email protected] with the name of the vacancy in the subject along with the reference number.