Ofwat (the Water Services Regulation Authority) is the economic regulator of the water and wastewater sector in England and Wales. Our role is to help it build trust and confidence with customers, the environment and wider society. Ofwat has an ambitious new strategy and as a regulator we are setting ourselves up to achieve and equal the ambition of this new strategy. It matters to us that things on the ground really change so that our impact on customers, the environment and the future of water is tangible and meaningful.
Our work is high-profile and fast-moving, within a dynamic and agile environment. The work that you’ll be involved in every day will be about helping us to deliver our strategy, helping to us to be the regulator we want to be and helping the sector to deliver outcomes that matter to customers and society. Our strategy sets out the role Ofwat will play. We will adapt, be confident, act with purpose and integrity and continuously improve so that we make the greatest contribution possible to improving life through water.
In response the (Regulator’s Alliance for Progressing Infrastructure Development) RAPID has been formed to help accelerate the development of new water infrastructure and design future regulatory frameworks. The joint team is made up of the three water regulators Ofwat, the Environment Agency and Drinking Water Inspectorate. It will provide a seamless regulatory interface, working with the industry to promote the development of national water resources infrastructure that is in the best interests of water users and the environment.
RAPID is working with water companies and alongside the five regional water resources planning groups, to ensure that we have timely delivery of new infrastructure. Where necessary, RAPID will assist the regulators in identifying and overcoming potential regulatory and commercial barriers. RAPID is overseen by a Board chaired by the Ofwat CEO, with membership from each of the regulators.
The successful applicant will be working for Ofwat but allocated to the cross-regulator RAPID cluster to support its work.
We are seeking an experienced water sector engineer, scientist or environmentalist. The successful candidate will play an important role in delivering our strategy and will need to be able to respond flexibly to the needs across the organisation. They will be deployed in the newly formed RAPID cross regulatory unit to facilitate the development of new strategic water resources infrastructure for generations to come.
The role requires a high level of technical competency, excellent written and oral communication skills, policy development skills, well developed people and stakeholder management skills, and a track record of delivery against challenging deadlines.
The successful candidate will be part of our water engineering, science and technology (WEST) professional community but be expected to work with other professionals (economists, policy specialists, data analysts, corporate finance experts and other experts) to solve regulatory problems. Our WEST professionals are not purely technical advisory. We expect them to take part in policy development and have the ability to communicate complex analysis to non-technical audiences.
As a Senior Associate, you will play a key role in the RAPID cluster and developing Ofwat’s approaches to long term water resources planning. You may lead a small workstream or manage small projects. You’ll ensure that we’re delivering on our strategic objectives on time and to budget, and also contribute to the effective identification and management of strategic risk and opportunities.
Some of the key areas of work include:
- Support the strategic regional water resource solution gated assessment process including reviewing company submissions and implementing lessons learned
- Support the development of wider regulatory and commercial frameworks to support large scale multi-party infrastructure development
- Provide scrutiny, challenge and written and oral feedback on regional water resource plans and company water resources management plans
- Provide wider support of the RAPID team in delivering its forward programme and the other related Ofwat clusters (primarily Future Assets & Resources and PR24 & beyond).
To thrive in this role and successfully deliver on the above activities you will be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding in the following areas; (full details can be obtained from the Candidate Information Pack on Ofwat’s careers page):
- Graduate qualification in engineering or similar, or, equivalent professional experience within the appropriate field of expertise to this role.
- Experience of carrying out a relevant role within Government, a regulated business, water sector supply chain organisation, consultancy or in another similarly relevant position.
- Experience or knowledge of developing policy in a complex organisational environment.
- Proven ability of working under pressure to produce high quality analysis to tight timescales while managing competing priorities
- Experience of working effectively in multi-disciplinary teams
- Understanding of investment appraisal techniques.
- Understanding of the processes and techniques associated with water resources management planning.
- Practical knowledge of the water industry in an area such as capital programme delivery, options development, meeting environmental obligations, business planning or water business operation or management.
Come and take a look, we offer a substantial benefits package including 25 days holiday plus 10 ½ bank holiday and privilege leave days per annum, a fantastic & highly competitive civil service pension scheme, among many other benefits.
A truly flexible, autonomous and trust based working culture is on offer to help you succeed within Ofwat.
Please forward a CV and cover letter, including the relevant experience required for this post. Please ensure that you have outlined how your skills and experience meet the criteria set out in the requirements section of the role profile. All applications require a CV Supplement form (mandatory) and a Diversity form (optional) to be completed as part of the process.
More information is available in our candidate information pack.
Please email your CV and supporting documents to [email protected] with the name of the vacancy in the subject along with the reference number. The closing date is 25 April 2021 at 5pm.