Closes 5pm, Monday 30 November 2020
Ofwat (the Water Services Regulation Authority) is pursuing an ambitious strategy, making sure we have the skills, processes, systems, governance and organisational culture needed to enable us to deliver our new vision for the water and sewerage sectors. What we do makes a real difference to water customers across the country.
Our work is high-profile and fast-moving, within a dynamic and agile environment. The work that you’ll be involved in every day will be about helping us to deliver our strategy, helping to us to be the regulator we want to be and helping the sector to deliver outcomes that matter to customers and society. Our strategy sets out the role Ofwat will play. We will adapt, be confident, act with purpose and integrity and continuously improve so that we make the greatest contribution possible to improving life through water. We are a small organisation of c250 people with a big role and national impact which is requiring systems thinking and adaptive leadership.
The purpose of the Insight and Impact cluster is to support Ofwat in achieving its Vision and Strategy for the sector through high-quality insights. The Evaluation Team’s role within the Insight and Impact cluster is to develop the evaluation capability and capacity across all of Ofwat.
You will play a crucial role in the Evaluation Team in helping Ofwat develop its understanding of the impacts of its policies and actions on customer (and wider) outcomes. You will work as part of the Evaluation Team on delivering the aims and objectives of the team. Making the team vision of Ofwat being an evaluation-literate organisation a reality, so that the Evaluation Team and the Insights and Impact Cluster plays its role in delivering the Ofwat Strategy, Time to Act, Together, acting as a champion for evaluation within Ofwat.
Your role will entail working with colleagues across Ofwat to increase their use of evaluative techniques and approaches with knowledge and confidence, providing high quality and practical support in undertaking evaluations and applying evaluative thinking techniques. You will also provide support to policy teams in undertaking Impact Assessments/policy appraisals.
Candidates should be aware that this position provides an opportunity to help build the evaluation capacity and capability within Ofwat. There is significant experience and support within the Insight and Impact Cluster, and across the whole organisation, on a wide range of analytical, scientific and engineering disciplines.
To thrive in this role the successful candidate will be responsible for the following deliverables – applying their knowledge and experience as outlined below (full details can be obtained from the Candidate Information Pack on Ofwat’s careers page):
- You will play a key role in the delivery of Ofwat’s evaluation strategy. This will involve working as part of a team to develop the evaluation capacity and capability in Ofwat.
- You will be working with and influencing teams across the organisation to support them in their evaluations, from planning, scoping and design to implementation and reporting.
- You will be a key point of contact for the organisation in providing support, potentially co-ordinating and delivering L&D activities relating to evaluation
- You will help build and provide access and support to a central evidence base on evaluation and impact assessment best practice.
- You will play an important role in the Insight and Impact Cluster, working more widely to help improve how Ofwat uses its data, evidence and insights.
- Use your knowledge of the principles and methods of evaluation and experience of applying evaluation within a public sector setting
- Apply knowledge of the HMT Green Book and Magenta Book publications, and their application in real-world settings.
- Demonstrate experience of undertaking or commissioning evaluations
- Be confident in your strong stakeholder collaboration and influencing skills with the ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of audiences – both technical and non-technical
- Have the ability to work independently demonstrating initiative when appropriate
Come and take a look, we offer a substantial benefits package including 25 days holiday plus 10 ½ bank holiday and privilege leave days per annum plus a fantastic civil service pension and commitment to learning and development, among many other benefits.
A truly flexible, agile, autonomous and trust based working culture is on offer to help you succeed within Ofwat.
Please forward a CV and cover letter, including the relevant experience required for this post. Please ensure that you have outlined how your skills and experience meet the criteria set out in the requirements section of the role profile. All applications require a CV Supplement form (mandatory) and a Diversity form (optional) to be completed as part of the process.
More information is available in our candidate information pack.
Please email your CV and supporting documents to [email protected] with the name of the vacancy in the subject along with the reference number. The closing date is 30 November at 5pm.