Welcome to our ‘innovation one-stop shop’
The water and wastewater sector in England and Wales, which serves over 55 million people every day, offers some great opportunities for innovators.
If you are at an early stage of exploring an opportunity for innovation, you can use this page to access our non-binding regulatory advice on current rules and regulations in England and Wales.
Getting help with your innovation
There are a number of organisations you can contact to get your help with innovation.
- Water companies and retailers may be interested in working with you to develop your innovation further. Get their contact details below.
- We also run our innovation competitions, where you can partner with a water company to win funding for your innovation.
- Water UK is the representative body for water companies and retailers in the UK.
- Supply chain membership associations, such as Future Water Association and British Water, can put you in touch with other suppliers or provide advice on how to become a supplier in the water sector.
- Many UK Universities offer innovation spaces or support. UK Universities represents over 140 universities in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Innovate UK is the UK innovation agency. They can provide advice and support for innovating in the UK.
- Private investors and innovation catapaults may also invest in your innovation for a share of any profits. You should seek professional financial or legal advice before entering into any agreement.
Innovation fund and competitions
Water company and retailer contact details
You may wish to reach out to one or more water companies to explore the possibility of working together. We have compiled a list of companies that you can contact today to explore your innovation. For water retailers, visit open-water.org.uk.
If you’re new to the water sector, you may wish to email [email protected] to get in contact with a water company about your innovative idea or solution. This central inbox is managed by an alliance of 19 UK water companies.
Get innovation advice from Ofwat
If you have a question or need more information about current rules and regulations, use our innovation advice contact form to tell us. We’ll aim to respond within 10 working days.
Please note that we cannot provide advice on environmental or drinking water quality regulations.
- For advice on environmental regulations, contact the Environment Agency (for England) or Natural Resources Wales (for Wales)
- For advice on drinking water quality regulations, contact the Drinking Water Inspectorate
We are the economic regulator of the water and wastewater sector in England and Wales. There are different regulators for Scotland and Northern Ireland.