Our vision for Ofwat is to be working at the leading edge, trusted and respected, challenging ourselves and others to build trust and confidence in water.
As the economic regulator of the water sector in England and Wales, Ofwat’s role is to help the sector build trust and confidence with customers and wider society.
- provoking, challenging and where appropriate leading the sector, to ensure it has clarity on what customers and society expect
- overseeing how the sector is performing
- seeking assurance that service providers are acting efficiently, on the basis of good information, a good understanding of the responsibilities and relationships they have and that they are maintaining a mature relationship with Ofwat
- being ready to step in, if service providers fall short
- using the right tools from our available toolkit to achieve the best results
- acting clearly and predictably
What we can achieve together
Delivering trust and confidence in vital public water and wastewater services is ambitious and will take time to achieve. We cannot do all this alone. We need water and wastewater companies and everyone with an interest in the sector to work with us and together, listening and communicating to build trust and confidence among customers, investors and within society.
If, together, we succeed, we will all benefit from trust in water.
A new vision for the water sector
We are working with the sector to create a new vision for us, companies and stakeholders to adopt. You can find out more here.