Thames Tideway Tunnel infrastructure provider project licence
On 14 July 2015 Thames Water announced Bazalgette Tunnel Limited as the preferred bidder to be appointed as an infrastructure provider (IP) to deliver the Thames Tideway Tunnel Project (the Project).
On 24 August 2015 we granted Bazalgette Tunnel Limited a project licence to carry out all activities described in the Project Specification Notice apart from those activities that Thames Water is to carry out under the Preparatory Work Notice.
We have also issued Bazalgette Tunnel Limited with a Waiver Notice that dis-applies the procurement regime in the Water Industry (Specified Infrastructure Projects) (English Undertakers) Regulations 2013 (SIP Regulations) in respect of certain contracts and for certain categories of contracts.
We held two consultations on the regulatory framework that will govern the IP. The first was in October 2014 and it was on the draft project licence and on other regulatory documents relevant for the IP. The second was in August 2015 when we consulted on whether Bazalgette Tunnel Limited is fit and proper to hold a project licence. As part of the second consultation, we also consulted on our intention to issue Bazalgette Tunnel Limited with a waiver notice disapplying, in specified circumstances and for specified contracts, the procurement requirements set out in the SIP Regulations.
In October 2016 Tideway applied for a waiver in respect of two software contracts. View the full waiver notice and reasons for granting.
We have taken into account all comments received and have now issued the following documents in final form.
- IN 15/11: Project licence and regulatory guidance for the Thames Tideway Tunnel infrastructure provider
- The Project Licence
- Explanatory memorandum to the project licence
- Guidance on approach to the economic regulation of the infrastructure provider
- Note on enforcement issued jointly with the Environment Agency
- Notice issued under regulation 6(8) of the SIP Regulations dis-applying to a limited extent Bazalgette Tunnel Limited’s obligation to apply the procurement provisions set out in the SIP Regulations