Vacant properties

In 2006 we published guidance to the water companies about charges for vacant properties. All companies follow the approach we suggested.

If your property is unfurnished

It is for companies to set individual charges and to decide whom to bill. However, it seems reasonable to regard unfurnished vacant properties as being unoccupied, so we recommend that your company should not charge you.

If your property is furnished

For furnished properties, we recommend that your company charges its standard metered and unmetered charges in full, unless you ask to be disconnected. In this case, we recommend that all charges are waived other than the surface water drainage charge.

Terms and conditions

Each water company’s charges and terms and conditions are set out in its charges scheme.

If you believe you have not been charged in accordance with the terms and conditions in the company’s charges scheme you should contact your regional Consumer Council for Water office for advice.