The Future Ideas Lab is a place for anyone to submit their ideas on how Ofwat could evolve the price review to meet the challenges faced by the water sector.
In PR24 and beyond: Future challenges and opportunities for the water sector, we set out that the sector faces profound challenges over the coming years and decades. As a regulator, these are Ofwat’s challenges too. But we also see great opportunities for the sector to deliver better outcomes for customers, the environment, and wider society.
As we look ahead to PR24, we’re thinking about how best to deliver our strategy, Time To Act, Together, through the price review. We’re also considering the lessons learnt from PR19 and before, and the challenges and opportunities ahead. With these in mind, we welcome contributions on the following twelve key questions for the sector:
- What could the water sector look like in 2040, and how can Ofwat and water companies work towards that vision?
- How do we best regulate to help companies to achieve long-term goals such as adapting to climate change, reducing leakage, improving water efficiency and delivery of net zero?
- How do we encourage companies to ensure services are affordable for all, both now and in the longer term?
- How can we encourage companies to innovate and to take advantage of technological change to increase productivity, reduce costs and improve resilience, service and the environment?
- How do we encourage companies to improve service to customers and operational resilience?
- How can we encourage companies to best take account of customer needs and priorities, while ensuring services are comparable across companies?
- What, if any, could the role of the price review be in encouraging or incentivising companies to better deliver public value?
- How do we better use markets to deliver better value to customers and the environment?
- How can we best account for specific issues, circumstances and Government policies/priorities in England and Wales?
- How can we best align the interests of investors with delivering for customers, the environment and society?
- How do we encourage companies to collaborate and work in partnership with others, such as on nature-based solutions, to better achieve outcomes for customers and the environment?
- How can we simplify the price review while increasing value to customers, the environment and wider society?
How to contribute
To make a contribution, please complete our form and upload your submission. We will publish submissions on this page.
For any queries, please email [email protected].