There are different circumstances under which we are able to revoke a licensee’s Water Supply and Sewerage Licence (WSSL).
Ofwat is able to revoke a licensee’s WSSL in accordance with a general authorisation given by the Secretary of State, in any of the circumstances specified under Standard Condition 10(2) of the WSSL standard licence conditions.
Process for revoking licences
If a licensee would like its licence revoked, it would need to formally contact Ofwat in writing or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org setting out:
- The specific circumstance(s) under which it is applying for its licence to be revoked (that is, which of the circumstances set out under Standard Condition 10(2) it is applying for a revocation under);
- The reasons for which it would like its licence to be revoked;
- Whether it has already contacted the market operator (MOSL) about the revocation;
- Whether it has any outstanding transactions on the Central Market Operating System (CMOS);
- How it intends to protect its existing customers if its licence is to be revoked; and
- Whether there are any issues it considers to be relevant to resolve before the licence is revoked and details of how it intends to deal with these.
Below are the WSSLs which we have revoked to date.
|Revoked Licences||Date licences granted||Date revocation came into effect||Notices of Revocation|
|Aquaflow Utilities Limited||Granting of original licence
January 4 2018
|28 March 2019||Notice of revocation of the water supply and sewerage licences of Aquaflow Utilities Limited|
|Cobalt Water Limited||Granting of original licence
October 21 2016
|24 August 2017||Notice of revocation of the WSSL of Cobalt Water Limited|
|South East Water Limited||Granting of original licence
December 8 2016
|29 March 2019||Notice of revocation of the sewerage licence of South East Water Limited|
Water supply licence and Sewerage licence
|Granting of original licence
September 30 2016
|10 April 2019||Notice of revocation of the water supply licence and sewerage licences of SSWB Limited|